Monday, July 20, 2015

Work or Passion?

When Passion Becomes Work!




              I have been a professional Photographer/Video Producer, and everything that comes under those titles for over 7 years now. It started as a passion, that drove me from the comfort and security of my family in my home town of Boston. After graduating from Worcester State University, something made me move hundreds of miles away. I wanted to get away from home and start fresh, start a brand new life, so that's what I did. I packed up my shit, hired a moving company, transferred my job and i was off. I moved to Atlanta Ga in 2007 and started school at The Art Institute of Atlanta. I didn't know anyone here, but I made it work, I struggled, and suffered and I sacrificed. I finally graduated in 2009 and started my production company. King Bishop Productions, yes I was on my way, I did all the ground work, I got the degrees, made the connections. I was ready to take over the world. 

               There was only one problem, the world put up one hell of a fight. In its heavy arsenal of weapons, was this atomic bomb called life. It seemed like as soon as things were about to go my way, life smacked the shit out of me. I tried starting several productions companies with friends, and failed each time. I constantly thought about quitting my job, yeah, that's what is holding me back, this stupid place that gives me a check and keeps me from sleeping couch to couch. I really thought that my job was my enemy. I used to hate going in to work, seeing all these miserable people, look at you all, content with working for the man, I would think to myself.  I know what your thinking, damn this post started out so good and inspiring. Well yeah get over it, because that is exactly the feeling of having a passion will give you. You will be so motivated and excited to get started on being great, and showing the world your genius. Then the bumps in the road will surface, and reality will start to make its way into your thoughts. That's where the journey really begins. 

               Millions of people start new businesses, and most fail within 2 years. But out of those millions, there are a few, that wont stop, and will continue to fight, learn and eventually win that war of Passion and work. A friend recently said to me, "you know what, this photography shit is hard. I salute you for sticking with it and striving to become better, because I'm done!" That was the best bit of motivation I have received in a very long time. I am very proud to say, I have made it past the 2 years and quitting part of the dream. Though I am far from where I want to be, I am so much farther than I thought I would be. From the outside looking in, it would appear that I have it made, or my lifestyle is like a dream. Well that's only half true. The other half consists of constant questioning of my abilities, I often feel like I'm not good enough. Like I should do something else, or just settle. I am more often than not alone, and in my thoughts, and plotting on getting to the next level. I don't party, I barely even date, and when I am around other human beings, I often feel out of place. All the things that make them happy, seems stupid and not worth my time. Because my passion has now become work. I still love creating visuals, more now that ever. But with smallest bit of success, you almost have triple that with work to continue to be successful and grow. 

           Now a days I find myself being a source of information on how to make your dream into your job, and I always feel bad after I tell them that its a non stop struggle. I have several friends who want to start this company and that one. They ask me, how did you do it, how do you keep it going, what does it take. I can always tell which ones wont make it because the look on their face says it all. They think you are about to sell them this amazing dream and story of pure joy. I often paint such a different picture that it catches them off guard. As the information settles in, I see the lack of enthusiasm diminish. It always hurts me just as much as it does them. The truth is, there is not one person out there, no matter what level of success they have. Not one will sit there and paint a beautiful picture of how they achieved it, and if they do, they are just keeping from you the most important part of what brings success. Its your failures, your pain, your suffering, and struggles, that make you a success. If you can go through all of that, and keep going, no matter if you become world famous and rich, or just a lonely photographer/video producer that writes a blog every now and then. If through all the loss of friends, creating of enemies, losing money, making money, having no social life, and always feeling out of place. If through all of that, you find strength to keep working for that passion, You are truly successful. 

            

No comments:

Post a Comment